Welcome

Friday, October 1, 2010

About Is Glendale, AZ a safe area

Is Glendale, AZ a safe area?
I'm moving to Phoenix, and someone recommended Sombra Apartments at 2020 W Glendale Ave. since it's near where I'll be working. It's in the 85201 zip code. I'm a young single female and just don't want to be worried about being shot every time I leave my apt.
Phoenix - 6 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Ok thats 19th ave and Glendale pretty much centrally located and very urban but cool though. Now you will see a little homelessness and drug activity and alot of young party goers on weekends because theres a club close by and they often hang out around that intersection after they leave. And Washington high school is at 21st ave and Glendale so you'll see alot of teenagers especially after the friday night football games. But its not Ghetto and that spot you are talking about is kinda low key but close to alot of shopping. Grocery store 2 blocks away,2Malls Metrocenter 2miles north Spectrum mall 1 mile south alot of Jobs especially around Metocenter, I-17 freeway (only 5 blocks away) light rail 1 mile 2hospitals a few large trade schools, Greyhound is on the other side of I-17 about 7 blocks (its a smaller station though) fast food, Theres a park behind that high school and a bowling alley near there. Its not downtown but it offers alot. Phoenix is the 5th largest city so its gonna be fast but people are friendly just try not to wonder around at night by yourself on them back streets. Glendale road is a main Street and your apartsments have security so you cool right there.
Answer 2 :
For me as long as you will take care of yourself and pray always, anywhere in this world is safe.
Answer 3 :
If I were you, I would go around between 83rd - 107th and Glendale. Its a little bit of a drive but much safer and Westgate is right there too. Tons of places to eat, movie theater, bars, and the sport stadiums. It would only be like a 7-10 mile drive to work and wouldnt take too long. But anything around I-17 until you start to head further north is kinda bad. Thats just me, I have lived in AZ all my life and I am 26. Ive lived between Glendale and Peoria. Like the north west part of town.
Answer 4 :
That would not be my first choice for Glendale. It's an older part of town. Also, it's a little too close to the Maryvale section of Glendale (gangs - lots of trouble). You'd be safer and meet nicer people if you can live in the newer parts of town. Who recommended this apartment to you? I'd rather drive a little and be able to sleep well at night. A realtor might be able to help you zero in on something you can afford and fits your criteria.
Answer 5 :
Won't be shot but Arizona is a very very gun friendly state. If you worry about things like that maybe Ca or Chicago or D.C. would be more to your liking
Answer 6 :
I live in Glendale about 20 minutes north of where your apartment is going to be. Glendale I believe for the most part is safe, but as Pepper pointed out anywhere near Maryvale is not so good

  Read more other entries :