Welcome

Sunday, April 1, 2012

About Need help with force retrieve

Need help with force retrieve?
Hello, I live in Glendale, Az. I have an 11 week old Labrador. I'd like to work with her on force retrieval. I was wondering how old a dog should be before I start doing this. I would also like to know if there is anyone in my area who knows of someone who teaches people the proper way to do this. I understand proper training in this matter is critical and would like to do it the correct way. I'd like to learn 'hands-on', as I've read articles would rather not go off of only what I read, but visual examples as well. Is there a class I can take? Or can I learn for somewhere firsthand for free?
Dogs - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
At 11 weeks you should be making retrieving a fun game as opposed to using a "forced retrieve". The pup is young and you want to set a foundation of willing work/play. Consult someone who trains gun dogs etc for instructions on training a forced retrieve... doing it incorrectly can make the dog resentful and slow to work.
Answer 2 :
Can the dog's breeder help you? If not, contact local kennel club for info and referrals
Answer 3 :
Sorry, I can't help you, but I can tell you that the force retrieve training is very rarely used anymore...it's just not necessary. I haven't had to use those methods yet with any of my retrievers (my Setter retrieves, too). Keep working with the pup for a while before you try this. At 11 weeks, she still needs to be a puppy. Most trainers recommend not truly starting a dog until around 8 months of age. Up until then, work on obedience, fun retrieves, flushing/pointing (if your Lab's parents did it, chances are she will, too), tracking, etc. Starting a dog too young (and even the force training) can ruin a good dog. For training tips, check with local Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse, and smaller, local stores to ask about dog training. Many of these stores will bring in a pro trainer at least once a year to go over basics with their clientele. I've watched a lot of these trainers, and many of them can work wonders...I've seen dogs turn around in a matter of minutes in the hands of a good trainer

 Read more other entries :